Each year, at Januari 20, the church of La Caleta and the nearby La Enramada beach are the center of a traditional celebration.
It is the name day of San Sebastián, patron saint of agriculture and livestock. People flock from far and wide to admire the procession and horse parade in La Caleta.
Procession & Horse parade
The day starts with a special mass, after which the statue of the Saint is carried out of the church to the sea. The procession is preceded by horsemen and a colorful mix of oxen, cows, goats, sheep and sometimes even camels (these were introduced to the Canary Islands in the 15. to serve as pack animal).
During the procession, the animals bathe, voluntarily or not, in the surf of the Atlantic Ocean. The pilgrimage ends in the Plaza de San Sebastián, where the priest blesses the animals.
Traditional music, artisan products, good food and local wine make this festival highly recommended to experience the Canarian culture up close. And that within walking distance of the touristy Costa Adeje.
How do I get there?
If you have a (rental) car, please leave it at home. The chance of finding a parking space is very small. Moreover, you should definitely try some traditional (alcoholic) delicacies in one of the many food stalls. Which makes driving a no-go.
The best way to reach the spectacle is by foot along the pedestrian promenade, or alternatively by bus. Bus lines 452 and 467 from Titsa stop right in front of the church, so public transport is probably your best choice! For more information about public transport, click here.
The celebration is spread over 2 days, as follows:
- Thursday, Januari 19, 2023
- From 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm : Church Mass, sung by the musical group Parranda El Mesturao in the Church of San Sebastián in La Caleta. After the mass, there is a procession with the image of San Sebastián, accompanied by the local music band of Adeje. There will be fireworks after the procession.
- From 9:00 pm there will be folkloric music on the square in front of the church. Around the square there are cozy stalls with delicacies, so make sure you still got room in your stomach when you come to party!
- Friday January 20, 2023
- At noon , a Eucharist will take place in the Church of San Sebastian, sung by the parish choir of Santa Úrsula de Adeje. Then another procession of the patron saint in the area around the church, followed by the traditional blessing of the animals.
- If you don't want to miss the spectacle of the horses, I recommend coming to La Enramada beach in good time (for safety reasons, barriers are provided, so front places are limited). Insider tip is to get a spot at the La Caleta Viewing Point (also called Mirador Palomas). Click here for a link to Google Maps for the exact location.
- It is best to bring a bottle of water, sun cream and of course a camera!
So far the latest news.
Stay safe and Hasta Pronto!